Monday, June 15, 2009

Beach Blanket Retro Glam


I admit it. I don't really like standard-issue "bathing suits." My long torso doesn't take kindly to two tiny pieces of fabric on either end of a long expanse of skin. Plus there isn't much of a waist there to break things up. I want to feel like I'm donning an actual outfit when I put on my swimsuit, not some generic formulaic "two-piece" or "tank" or "tankini." I didn't really want to go the vintage route, so I scoured websites and found suits I actually get excited about like the Jantzen suit left--feminine, tailored, neat and structured. (The Badgley Mischka below is perfection.)

Though some of the smaller houses like Hayden-Harnett (below right)
come up with the most innovative designs, larger design names are coming up with just the suits I have in mind. Here are a few of the best I've found around online and at shops ranging from Nordstrom to Urban Outfitters to Anthropologie to Macy's to SyLene in Chevy Chase.

Love the high-waisted Jantzen two-piece; ruched one-piece is by INC

Betsey Johnson (left) & Kimchi at Urban Outfitters make you feel "dressed"

No comments:

Post a Comment