Monday, April 27, 2009

Surreal Life of Hair


A couple of weeks ago I sprinted out of a writer's conference at Dupont Circle to interview celebrity hair stylist Ted Gibson at the Ted Gibson Salon and Hela Spa at the Collection at Chevy Chase. I returned in the nick of time for "Poetry Speed Dating" (don't ask) after getting both to meet a fellow military brat and a whole new look. The affable stylist also said he's shot footage for an upcoming reality show "Ted Gibson Beauty Universe" about everyday salon life (remember the emotive Jonathan Astin's "Blow-Out"?). Here's more of what we talked about:
ME: What's your favorite look at the moment?
TED: Shoulder-length and longer. Think about growing out your bob now.
ME: What about Kate Moss and Heidi Klum? They cut off their long hair.
TED: I think Kate Moss and Heidi Klum are icons. But I think what we're going to be seeing now is longer hair. I cut Annie Hathaway's hair off for her [for a movie]. So right now it's about shoulder length. We're growing hers out.
ME: Do chunky highlights still rule?
TED: I think it's a little more subtle now.
ME: How long have you been doing hair?
TED: I've been doing hair for about 20 years.
ME: Really? You look really young.
TED: Thank you. I'm 43.
ME: Tell me about your signature look.
TED: I'm really into very sexy, sexy hair--for all ages. I don't know any woman who doesn't feel that way.
ME: What is your favorite Ted Gibson product?
TED: Hair Sheets
ME: What would you do with my hair?
TED: I would make it very blond. You could handle more hair. It would be very, very hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment