Thursday, August 6, 2009

Bethesda is a Snoburb?



Tell me it ain't so. When I checked out Lydia Sullivan's snoburbia.com for my magazine column, I was laughing my head off reading the community satire on her blog. She takes the overachieving lifestyle of the Bethesda environs and turns it on its head, providing a good dose of self-deprecating humor and giving us all a chance to look at ourselves (or for sure our neighbors) and stop overachieving long enough for a good laugh.  She's taken it one step further with T-shirts, including one with a MoCo logo new in July. For you yahoos out there, MoCo stands for the well-heeled DC 'burbs known as Montgomery County where several public schools regularly make Newsweek's Top 100 list and where everyone, well, is just better than everyone else. Lydia is a longtime area resident and loves the city and its people. But she just can't help herself from having a little tongue-in-cheek fun. Soft cotton tees come in sizes for all ages and in a slim cut. Graphics include "hobbies" like Thinker (my son Will, above) and Writer. There's a succinct I Got In with an Ivy leaf emblazoned on the front as well as one that boasts My internship is more impressive. Well, National Institutes of Health is in my backyard: doesn't that go without saying? My own dear MoCo-raised and W-school wunderkind son and his friend Rafi were kind enough to pose in the shirts. Rafi's fave: MD > VA. Lydia is also making some shirts going the other direction. But I won't mention those here.

1 comment:

  1. Growing up in Bethesda, I will say that it's much different than it used to be. I had a shirt that said "where the hell is Bethesda" before Bethesda was BETHESDA.

    Hopefully my home town where I have my restaurant will not be relegated to a snobby place, there are still plenty of REAL people here.

    ReplyDelete