Friday, July 29, 2011

Of GiltCityDC and what I love about Bethesda


 GiltCityDC launches on Monday, which is inspiring me to wax poetic about my own dear city. The site offers fabulous specials on events and happenings around town. Specials go up on Mondays and Wednesdays at 11 (they sell out FAST so don't dilly-dally) and I've got the inside scoop: Monday's deals will include The Palm restaurant and Toka salon..... Yes.

Ok, so back to Bethesda. There are two things  I especially love (well, three. I love Twitter, so please spread the word and tweet this post with a link and tags #cityscoop and @GiltCityDC)

I love to
1. Grab a meal or a happy hour at Mon Ami Gabi;
2. Watch a movie at Landmark Bethesda Row Cinema 

Yes, I write about shopping and the stores are fantastic, but honestly, so is the food, and who doesn’t like to eat?

I also love movies, and the theater is right next door to the restaurant, which makes for a perfect place to digest in peace. Plus the films are always fantastic (the arty, indie type Bethesdans love to love).

But first the meal.

Mon Ami Gabi has great steak frites—the best around. The frites are a perfect mix of crispy and tender and come lavishly piled up on the plate next to the steak. They provide the perfect foil to my steak au poivre's subtle spice. The beef is perked up by savory peppercorns with just a hint of sweetness from the brandy in the sauce. The tender butter lettuce salad makes a perfect starter with its dollop of goat cheese. If you’re really feeling decadent, order up a side of creamy cauliflower au gratin—you won’t be sorry. Dessert? This course is why we always came here to celebrate birthdays--the hot, gooey chocolate cake is to die for and profiteroles are too special to pass up. But hey, if you’re an early bird, don’t overlook happy hour. You can get a half-price bottle of wine and appetizers. On Thursday nights there’s live music.

What makes Mon Ami so wonderful is its “adult” atmosphere. The black and white tile and outdoor tables remind me of all the little bistros restaurants lining the upper West Side of Manhattan (thought I was going to say Paris?), which makes me feel like a grown-up and sets the mood for that arty film next door.

Ok, beloved readers I hope to see you at Mon Ami and I hope to see you Twitter, too. Please post a link to this post on Twitter and tweet, tweet, tweet it with tags #cityscoop and @GiltCityDC! Thank you so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment